Sunday 22 March 2020

Pursuing a passion in your 30's

While we are kids or young adults, we have the luxury of time and choice. The 'must do' chores in a day are way lesser. Of course there would be school, college or work that we must devote about 6-9 hours to. But chunks of 'free time' that is totally in our control is much more in that stage of life.

I still remember my Undergrad days. College would get over at 1:00 PM and I would be home by 1:45 PM! And the rest of the day was totally mine. Parents were there to provide for and manage the household. Barring my college work and keeping my things in order, I did not have to do much around the house. I used to read a lot, listen to music and attend concerts. How easy it was all back then!

Now, with a young child to care for, a house to keep and meals to cook, the predictable free time is near zero or pitifully small. My kid is away at school for about 5 hours a day. That usually leaves an effective 2 hours for myself. And to spend that in a productive manner, I need all the determination that I can summon! Stephen Covey's concept of  how urgent matters always take over the important ones is so so true at this stage!

In his book 'First things First', he talks about how most humans are addicted to urgency since it gives them a sense of accomplishment very easily. One can say that it is like a drug that makes you hallucinate productive use of time. My everyday chores are far easier to do than pursing my long term goals. Moreover, the daily chores pile up and threaten my peaceful existence if not done. A house not kept in order or lunch not being ready when my kid gets home will punish me then and there. Not keeping to my music practice schedule would do none of that as of now. Maybe when am old and my voice does not listen to my command, the regret would sweep all over me. But for now I can still get on.

I just digressed to a subtopic. But I have to come to the passion in question - Music.

I have had a lot of drilling in carnatic music since childhood. My grandfather was a performing violinist who used to accompany great doyens like Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer in concerts. And he gave his all to train his granddaughters - my sister and I, into this divine art form. Blessed with good voices that sounded like one in unison, we have given over 50 concerts right from the age of 8 and 12. Added to that was our school which gave a lot of importance to the performing arts. Having been a part of the school music team right from class 4, it was years of profound learning, stage performances, encouragement, prizes and all round enrichment.

All this has gone a long way to make me the reasonably seasoned singer and erudite listener that I am today. But I still regret not having put more work into my music in my school and college days.

I am fortunately married to someone who is far more devoted to music and whose sincerity in pursuing it far exceeds mine. We regularly attend concerts with kid in tow and learn from the same teacher. My husband is the main reason for my continuing to toil with music, for toil is what the art demands from anyone who wants to pursue it seriously. He inspires me with his devoted efforts and regularity in practice.

Hmm .. I actually started writing this post as one of regret, where I was going to say how difficult it is to pursue a passion at this stage of life. But what poured forth through my fingers have totally changed my perspective. Yes, I should have put in a lot more effort in my childhood and single status days. But I have indeed put in quite a bit which is why I am where I am now. And with music continuing to occupy a prime place in my life, the road is pretty much still traversable!

There are deterrents of course. There is my own tardiness but that is totally in my hands to win over. There is the hugely complex nature of the art form itself but years of training has made it tangible for me. There is the humdrum of everyday life but who does not have that? People who achieve in life are not recluses who live by themselves tending to just basic needs. Majority emerge from the humdrum and still pursue what they love and achieve too!

Let's see. I still have time, a very learned teacher and an encouraging environment on my side. Say, 10 years from now, while am reading my old posts and chance upon this one, I want to smile and think 'yes, I did it'! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment